Monday, March 3, 2008

War of 1812 - Joseph Orne's Service

I am researching Joseph Orne's service in the War of 1812, since I had read a comment previously that he had been a POW in Ontario during that war. Today I found abstracts from the payrolls of regiments stationed at Burlington, VT. This is a "pay roll of a company of infantry commanded by Catpain Benjamin S Edgerton, of the Eleventh Regiment of th United States, for the months of September and October 1812":

(You can click to enlarge.)

He is listed here with an Ebenezer Orne. Not certain which Ebenezer this is -- there are several in the family. My hunch is that he's a family member. Joseph had a son named Ebenezer, born in 1796, and it's most likely him.

Keep in mind that I'm simply guessing that this Joseph Orne maps to the Joseph Orne in our tree (all I have is a name and a state to go by) but I do not yet have the pension files or other documentation to verify this. My degree of confidence is about 85%.

No comments: